Fall has officially arrived here in Seattle. The rain has come and the days are busy with school, sports and work. Some days you don’t really know if you’re coming or going; you hardly have time to sit down for a bite to eat.
It happened to be one of those days for me last Wednesday. But pleasantly, I had a sweet little lunch bag on my porch. Inside was a Mason Jar filled with the most delicious combination of vegetables with a crunchy burst of apple. Fresh, crispy and earthy – just what I needed on that particular day. Nestled in a amongst the vegetables was creamy crumbles of goat cheese and lightly salted pepitas. In the bottom of the jar was a light dressing that topped off this delicious salad. I simply unlocked the mason jar and turned all the ingredients over into a large salad bowl and with a little toss I had lunch.
This was a great surprise thanks to Jen who was writing a new salad recipe and wanted to give me a delicious lunch. Little unexpected gifts like this, are treasures. They come along and brighten your day; it helps you get through the hustle and bustle of life. This is a great idea for a neighbor, friend or your child’s teacher. Surprising somebody with some sunshine makes the day just a little bit brighter and gives the recipient energy to take care of the people they love. Thank you Jen for blessing me!
It’s Jen here. This menagerie of Vegetables and Fruit is a fun salad because we are taking the local fall harvest and placing it into a salad. You may come across all these items at a farmer’s market or even have them growing in your garden. Don’t be afraid to add whatever Veggies you have in your fridge!
This is a layering salad, either on a plate or in the fun “Pinteresty” manner of a Mason Jar. It is perfect for a work lunch or a Autumn picnic on the weekend with friends.
The dressing is Light and Sweet – the perfect combination. The trouble is getting every part of the salad in each bite!
Fall Harvest Salad
Golden Beets, Rainbow Carrots, Crisp Sweet Apples, Cucumber, Crumbled Goat Cheese and Pepitas on a Bed of Baby Kale tossed with a Light Champange Vinegar Maple Dressing
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 Tablespoon Champange Vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons Grapeseed Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Fresh Chives, plus more for garnish
- Pinch of Salt
- Bag or box of washed Baby Kale
- 4 Golden Beets
- 3 Rainbow Carrots
- 1 Envy Apple or other crisp Sweet Apple Variety
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 cup Crumbled Goat Cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Roasted and Salted Pepitas
- Combine Champange Vinegar, Grapessed Oil, Maple Syrup, Chopped Fresh Chives and Salt in a small jar or pitcher. Whisk well.
- Wash Beets and cut off the greens. Place in a sauce pan, fill with water and cook on medium high until boiling, simmer for 30-40 minutes until tender. Drain and cool, then peel thick skin off and slice.
- Wash and prep other vegetables and fruit. Cut Carrots into matchsticks. Slice the Apple very thin and slice the Cucumber with skin on.
- Lay the Baby Kale on a plate, divided into 4ths. Place one sliced Beet, 1/4 of Carrots, 1/4 of Apples, 1/4 of Cucumbers on top of Kale. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Goat Cheese and 1 tablespoon Pepitas on top. Lightly sprinkle the Dressing on top and garnish with more Chives. Repeat for the other 3 salads.
- Alternatively: Layer each salad in a Mason Jar in this order: Dressing, Kale, Beet, Carrot, Apple, Cucumber, Pepitas, Goat Cheese and Chives for garnish.
Doesn’t this salad look tasty? Trust me, it is.